Once again while going through my Heavy Metal magazine collection I came across this “tip in” card from the early 2000’s (I believe – problem is that they not only tip in, but tip out, so I’m not sure what issue it was from). As soon as I saw it I had a flashback to the characters in the D&D Gamma World game I’m playing on occasion. Two of the characters, in particular, are on this card, and it is almost frighteningly accurate.
Bones in the back is a Cockroach Yeti, and Skin up front is an Exploding Engineered Human. Together, they fight mutants! Skin survived one adventure before Bones joined her, and his name was chosen purely to go with her nickname. She had another name on her sheet when she was rolled up, but her habit of detonating when stressed has left her running around Gamma Terra in the nude often enough that it got replaced with Skin. Skin’s power fist knocks targets prone, which in turn triggers Bones’ latest power, a free acid attack once per encounter against adjacent prone creatures.
Level 6 Exploding Engineered Human
Str: 13 (+1)
Dex: 16 (+3)
Con: 18 (+4)
Int: 16 (+3)
Wis: 4 (-3)
Cha: 13 (+1)
Hit Points: 55
Armor Class: 19
Alpha Mutations: 2
- +2 to all overcharge
- +2 to Psi overcharge
- Practical Endurance: +1 Fort & Will
- Engineered Resilience: +1 bonus to Fort, Ref & Will
- Tech Affinity: +2 to checks to avoid Omega Tech burnout
- Fireworks: When bloodied, anyone ending their turn adjacent to skin takes 3 fire and sonic damage
- Acrobatics +4 (+13)
- Athletics +4 (+11)
- Interaction +4 (+11)
- Science +4 (+13)
- Engineered Human Critical: Attack deals 1d10 extra damage, target grants combat advantage until the end of my next turn.
- Exploding Critical: Attack deals 1d10 extra fire & radiation damage, each creature adjacent to Skin takes 5 fire & radiation damage.
- Bold Attack: At will; melee or ranged; Attack: Level + 4 + Weapon Accuracy vs AC; Damage: 1[W] + level physical damage; choose one ally within 5 squares – gets to make a basic attack as a free action.
- Controlled Demolition: At will; Standard action; Close burst 2; Attack: Constitution + Level vs Reflex; Hit: 1d6 + Con modifier + level fire and sonic damage and push the target 1 square. +1d6 damage when bloodied.
- Chain Reaction: Encounter; Immediate reaction; Close burst 2; Trigger: Take damage from an attack; Each creature in burst is pushed 1d4 squares. If pushed 4 squares, target also takes 10 fire and sonic damage.
- Nuclear Option: Encounter; Standard action; Close burst 4; Attack: Con + level vs Reflex; Hit: 2d10 + Con modifier + level fire and sonic damage and push target 4 squares. Skin exploded, and does not exist until the end of her next turn when she reforms in an unoccupied square within 5 squares of her last location.
- Power Fist: Encounter; Standard Action; Melee; Attack: Level +8 vs AC; Hit: 3d10 + Str mod + 2 x level physical damage, target is pushed Str mod squares and knocked prone; Miss: 1/2 damage, push target 1 square and knock it prone.
- Power Fist: Heavy 1 hand melee weapon; Str/Con + 2 Accuracy; 2d6 + Str mod damage, knocks target prone.
- Blade Tonfa: Heavy 1 hand melee weapon: Str/Con +2 Accuracy; 1d10 + Str mod damage
Level 5 Cockroach Yeti
Str: 16 (+3)
Dex: 7 (-2)
Con: 18 (+4)
Int: 13 (+1)
Wis: 10 (+0)
Cha: 11 (+0)
Hit Points: 50
Armor Class: 23
Alpha Mutations: 2
- +4 Bio overcharge
- Scurry & Skitter: +2 Reflex
- Bug Legs: Climb at full speed, even upside down. Cannot attack while climbing
- Hard to Hurt: +1 AC
- Cold Resistance: 10
- Mechanics +4 (+10)
- Nature +4 (+9)
- Perception +4 (+9)
- Cockroach Critical: Attack deals 1d10 extra damage and Bones gains +4 AC until end of next turn
- Eau De Roach: At will; Standard Action; Melee 1; Attack: Con + level vs Fortitude; Hit: 2d8 + Con mod + 2 x level acid damage and push target 1 square
- Hard to Kill: Encounter; Immediate interrupt; Personal; Trigger: dropped to 0 hit points; Regain 10 + level hit points
- Opportunistic Meal: Encounter; Free action; Melee 1; Trigger: end turn adjacent to a prone creature; Target: triggering creature; Attack: Con + Level vs Fort; Hit: 2d12 + Con mod + 2 x level acid damage; Miss: half damage
- Big Claws: Encounter; Minor Action; Melee 1; Attack: Str + Level + 2 vs AC; Hit: 1d10 + Str mod + 2 x level physical damage and target is slowed until the end of Bones’ next turn
- All-Seeing Egg: Consumable; Minor Action; Until end of encounter, the egg emits a series of beeps that indicates the number of creatures within 5 squares at the beginning of each of Bones’ turns.
- Flash Neurojack: Neck Item; Encounter; Minor Action; Gain an extra standard action this turn, and +1 speed until the end of the encounter.
- Razor Grenade: 1 handed ranged; Consumable; Standard action; Area Burst 2 within 10; Attack: Level +6 vs Reflex; Hit: 2d10 + Dex mod physical damage and ongoing 5 physical damage (save ends); Miss: 1/2 damage.
- Heavy Chitin Armor: AC +7, -1 speed
- Spikes: Heavy one-handed melee weapons: Str/Con +2 Accuracy; 1d10 + Str mod damage
Jamie Albrecht said:
Characters like these are precisely why I love the new Gamma World.
Dyson Logos said:
Agreed. The chargen is totally made of awesome.