B/X, Basic, Dungeons & Dragons, Fantasy, Labyrinth Lord, Magic User, OSR, Random Tables, Random Thursday, RPG, Subclasses
Unlike the Halflings from last week, the problem with Magic Users wasn’t filling the list, but keeping it contained. In the end I tried to keep them very distinct from the commonly existing subclasses that already exist. My goal in time is to make subclasses for each of those “full” subclasses anyways.
Remember – if using these rules, all characters must have a subclass. If you really don’t want a subclass, petition the GM to let you take the focused subclass (Focused Fighter, etc), which provides no new abilities, but instead makes leveling up a bit faster.
Magic User Subclasses (d12)
- Warlock – 1d3 damage, 60′ range magic blast at will
- Sensitive – Detect magic by touch
- Savant – Identify magic items – takes 1 hour and 100 gp
- Scribe – Can copy a scroll for 1/2 the normal cost & time to make one.
- Alchemist – Can make a copy of a potion for 1/2 the normal cost & time to make one.
- Seer – Cast Augury 1/day per 3 levels
- Witch-Hunter – +2 on saves versus spells
- Two-Fisted Sorcerer – Can cast two spells in one round 1/day
- God-Touched – At each spell level replace one magic user spell with a spell from the same level cleric spell list.
- Guardmage – Can wear leather armour
- Focused – +10% to earned XP
- Choose one or make up a new one
I think this is the most interesting one yet. Keep up the good work!
I like this list and especially the two-fisted sorcerer but I would caution against allowing the double cast be any spell level. That power puts it on quick a different scale than the rest of the subclasses. Plus memorizing a spell is hard enough, I imagine casting two at once wouldn’t allow the mind to process the complexity of a higher level spell.
#12 Abracadaver: specializes in raising the dead, or keeping the dead from rising, or drawing out the lingering soul, dreams, memories from a fresh corpse (only useful within 24 hours of TOD)
Seth Drebitko said:
@RedHobbit You could have it be that they can cast any two spells at once so long as the total level doesn’t exceed the max they are capable of casting at the time.